December 28, 2016

Police: Teen arrested after crashing pickup over irrigation canal

From Redmond Police:

Early this morning, at approximately 1:30 am, a Redmond Police Officer attempted to stop a 2013 Toyota Tacoma pickup on SW Canal Blvd near SW Kalama Ave, Redmond when the driver failed to stop and attempted to elude the Officer.  The Officer pursued the vehicle, losing sight of it after it turned onto SW Timber Ave from SW Canal Blvd. 

At approximately 1:34 am, Dispatch received a 911 call of a motor vehicle crash near SW 27th Street and SW Timber Ave.  The crashed vehicle was determined to be the vehicle which attempted to elude the Officer.  When Officers arrived at the crash scene, the driver was not in the vehicle.  A Redmond Police K9 Officer responded and searched the area.  The driver was not immediately located.

The investigation into the pursuit and crash continued, and a suspect was identified by 3:00 am.  At approximately 5:00 am, Redmond police received a call of a suspicious person in the area of the Comfort Suites on SW Yew Ave.  Officers responded and located the suspect.  He was arrested, taken to Saint Charles Medical Center – Redmond for the treatment of minor injuries, and then lodged at Deschutes County Juvenile Detention in Bend.

The suspect is a 17-year-old male from Aumsville, Oregon.  The investigation revealed he had borrowed his grandparent's vehicle, with permission, but drove to Redmond unbeknownst to the grandparents.  The juvenile was arrested for Attempt to Elude – Felony (in a motor vehicle), Reckless Driving and Failure to Perform the Duties of a Driver Involved in an Accident (Hit & Run).

After the Officer lost sight of the suspect vehicle and was no longer following it, the suspect appears to have continued driving west on SW Timber Ave to SW 26th Street.  SW Timber Ave ends at SW 26th Street.  There is a Central Oregon Irrigation District canal in that area.  The vehicle appears to have struck a snow berm, sending the vehicle into the air and over the canal, landing approximately 100 feet away.  The vehicle was totaled and towed from the scene.

No comments: