100 years ago

Oct. 24, 1918 — An auto accident

An accident which was miraculous, in the fact that nobody was seriously injured or killed outright, occurred Sunday morning about 10 o’clock, when Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Sanford and children and Mrs. Dick Doty and children, seven persons in all in a Ford, ran off the bridge over the old river bed near Powell Butte and made a straight drop of 25 feet.

The party was en route to Prineville and the car was driven by Mrs. Doty, who is noted as a very careful driver, but the car became unmanageable on the grade approach to the bridge, broke the side rails and dropped almost directly underneath the structure.

The car was right side up when it landed, but had turned completely around and was facing toward home. all the occupants went out through the top, it is reported, and the car missed falling on them by just a few feet.

All members of the party were injured, more or less, but these consisted of bruises, scratches, and a general shaking up, excepting Mrs. Doty, who was cut on the head so severely as to necessitate having several stitches taken. However, they are all about again and almost recovered from the unusual experience.

75 years ago

Oct. 21, 1943 — Gardeners raise big vegetables of all varieties

Vegetables are apparently growing bigger and better this year, or else victory gardeners are putting forth considerable extra effort.

It started with big turnips, topped by Joe McClay’s 12-pound, 12-ounce vegetable.

Then came Mr. and Mrs. W.E. McCallum with two giant beets, one weighing five pounds and one five and one-fourth pounds. Seven big Yellow Danvers onions from Dr. Hal Rogers’ farm were next.

R.J. Skelton of Cloverdale heard about the Sam Lantzes’ 13-pound, ten-ounce cabbage, and produced a head weighing a full 16 pounds.

Owen McCorkle next brought in a Deschutes Netted Gem potato which weighed in at an even three pounds. All the big vegetables are on display at The Spokesman office.

50 years ago

Oct. 23, 1968 — Replant of teeth proves successful

Transplanting of teeth for Darla Jacobsen has been reported as satisfactory by her mother, Mrs. Harold Jacobsen.

Darla, seventh grader at Sisters School, lost her two upper front teeth when a ball struck her in the mouth Oct. 1 during a physical education class ball game. Mrs. Eunice Garret, class instructor, and her mother rushed her to a Bend orthodontist. Darla carried her teeth into the office in her hand.

Dr. Edgar Timm replanted the teeth into her mouth. According to Mrs. Jacobsen the teeth are covered with plastic but the gums have grown over them. They caused Darla very little trouble, although she still does not chew with them.

25 years ago

Oct. 20, 1993 — Man awaits sentencing in shooting

A man who fired a shotgun at a Redmond police officer in May will be sentenced Dec. 8 for attempted murder.

Harold H. Scott, 46, pleaded guilty last week to the charge of attempted murder. But under a plea agreement, he made the plea without admitting to the shooting. He could receive six years in prison, according to the state’s sentencing guidelines.

Scott fired a single-barrel shotgun at Officer Mike Kidwell, who was responding to a call to an apartment on Deschutes Avenue between Sixth and Seventh streets.

Scott fired the gun at Kidwell after refusing to drop the weapon. Some of the pellets from the double-O shotgun shell hit Kidwell, who was protected by a bullet-proof vest and did not sustain serious injury. A door frame took some of the blast, some pellets hit the street and one was embedded in the building across the street. A ricocheted pellet struck Sgt. Al Maich’s leg.

Scott remains in custody pending sentencing.