100 years ago
June 17, 1920 — “Back to the Horse” Movement is Predicted
J. Hague, a rancher on the peninsula between the Deschutes and Crooked rivers, was in Redmond Saturday. Due to the gasoline shortage which makes it impossible for him to get gasoline in sufficient quantities, he is is going to buy another saddle horse in order to care for his stock on the range this summer, he said. His neighbors will also be forced this summer into a limited “back to the horse” movement if present conditions continue, Hague declared.
75 years ago
June 21, 1945 — FBI Finds Car Stolen From Houk
The 1940 Mercury sedan, stolen from Redmond Motor company’s used car lot June 4, has been recovered at Tucson, Ariz. P.M. Houk was advised Monday in a telephone call from the Portland FBI office.
No details concerning condition of the car have been learned. When taken, it had a tank full of gas, Houk said.
50 years ago
June 17, 1970 — Literary magazine “Courage” published by eighth graders
Developing their creative talents, a group of eighth-grade students at John Tuck School recently published a literary magazine of poetry and photographs under the counseling of Sheri Kohler. The booklet, “Courage,” was made possible by profits from a magazine sale and proceeds from an ice cream sale at the school , as well as other fund-raising events.
Published for the first time, poems and photographs in the book are results of long hours of creative work and editing by several students.
Contributions to the magazine include a poem, “Haiku,” by David Hart; a visual poem by David Bulkey and abstract photos by Curt Simmons and Chuck Cheatham.
Students editing the magazine were Hart, Matt Clark, Candy Moyes, Dick Knorr, Judy Reed and Theresa Bruton. Assisting with the publication were Denise Karl, Leona Hershey, Linda Bergstrom and Julie Komarek.
The magazine was lithographed in The Spokesman’s commercial printing department.
25 years ago
June 21, 1995 — Smoke alarm lets family escape fire
Smoke alarms really do save lives. Just ask Betti Stidham and her three daughters.
A smoke alarm awakened the Stidham family to a fire in the first floor of their two-story apartment in the 1200 block of SW 16th Street , early last Thursday.
The warning gave the family time to get out — out the second story window int the arms of neighbor Steve Pilling, who is credited with catching or breaking the falls of family members as they jumped.
“This is a case where we credit the smoke alarm with saving lives,” Assistant Fire Chief Scott Magers said. “It woke them up.”
The importance of having a working smoke alarm isn’t the only lesson learned from the fire.
All households should have a second method of escape, Magers stressed.
Most families have a plan, but not all have a way to accomplish the plan, such as having a rope ladder if bedrooms are situated on the second floor.
“Most people have a plan with escape routes, which is good — everyone needs to have an escape plan,” Magers said. “But it’s possible that a lot of people have not taken the next step, which is to have a way to get out. Rope ladders can be purchased locally and they’re not very expensive.”
The other lesson is not to keep flammable items too close to baseboard heaters, Magers said.
The cause of the Stidham fire, which was reported at 3:12 a.m. is believed to be a newspaper ignited by a baseboard heater in the living room, the fire investigator determined.
The smoke alarm woke up Jennifer, 15. Jennifer then woke up her mother.
Betti dangled 5-year-old Emilee out the second story window, screaming for help. Neighbor Steve Pilling, who lives on the other side of the complex, arrived to catch Emilee, and then Aimee, 14. He helped break Jennifer and Betti’s falls.
All were taken to Central Oregon District Hospital, where Pilling stayed with them in the emergency room.
Red Cross is assisting the family and a donation fund has been set up at First Interstate Bank.