100 years ago
Sept. 8, 1921 — Water system bids asked by city council
Contract for the installation of a new water system will be let by the city council on Sept. 27, it is contemplated by a request for bids made this week.
Whether the system to be installed shall be a gravity supply line from the North Canal dam to the Forked Horn Butte reservoir, or an electrically driven pumping plant near Cline Falls will be decided when the bids are opened.
75 years ago
Sept. 12, 1946 — No U-turns
Jesse Edgar, chief of police, wishes to draw attention to the fact that there are “No U-turns” signs the full length of Sixth Street.
Everyone must observe them.
50 years ago
Sept. 15, 1971 — Redmond school enrollment leap biggest in area
An unexpected leap in enrollment has startled Redmond district schools and officials are worried.
Redmond board of education members learned Monday night that district schools have reported an enrollment increase of 11.6 percent. The increase is larger than predicted, and largest of any district in Central Oregon.
Board members expressed curiosity as to where the parents are coming from and what their jobs are. There is some feeling that there are more welfare parents this year. A study of the situation may be made later.
25 years ago
Sept. 11, 1996 — COCC gets video grant
The U.S. Forest Service has awarded Central Oregon Community College a $236,700 grant for video and computer equipment to be installed in the planned north campus in Redmond as well as at the Madras, LaPine and Prineville centers.
When the project is complete, COCC will be able to deliver basic skills classes, workforce training courses, two-year associate degree programs and baccalaureate and graduate curriculum in the four communities.
Each center will receive six computer work stations, a novell server and all network peripherals and equipment for receiving one-way video and two-way audio. The north campus will receive an additional seven computer work stations. COCC will provide technical services and cover other in-kind costs.
Installation of the equipment is underway at the Madras center and should be completed by the end of the year. Installation at the other three sites will follow and is scheduled for completion in September 1998.