100 years ago

July 1, 1920 — Auto crashes into store: Damage $700

P.M. Houk was thrown from his automobile when it turned over after a collision at Sixth and D streets Sunday morning and later, with power still running, righted itself, turned around the flag pole at the street intersection and with gathering speed dashed one block down Sixth street and crashed into the plate glass front of the Tri State Terminal company store.

On its path the car swerved on to the sidewalk in front of the Busy Bee cafe while at a speed of about twenty miles, then turned, missing two parked automobiles and then crossed the street hitting the Tri State store front so hard that the whole end of the building was strained. The plate glass broken was the largest in any of the Redmond stores.

Houk estimates the damage to the car and the store at about $700. The automobile he was driving was the service car of the Redmond garage and was badly damaged when it hit the store front.

The accident occured as Houk was driving north on Sixth street and was making the turn to go west on D street when he hit or was hit by a small car driven by Francis Matchett of Bend. In the effort to miss the “bug” Houk swerved his car until he saw he was going to run into the flag pole then turned again. After the collision the car turned over on one side throwing Houk out several feet into the street, after which it fell into position with the power running. One wheel was going against the flag pole, the car was turned around and when it worked away from the pole it started down Sixth street in the direction from which it had been driven.

Houk, according to spectators who were on the street, regained his feet and looked north to find the car, and later saw that it had turned and was going south. He chased after the car but was unable to catch it, as it gained speed rapidly until the time of the crash more than a block down the street .

Brought before City Recorder M. A. Cunning Monday morning for hearing Houk pleaded guilty to speeding and was fined $20 and costs. Matchett, who drove the other car involved in the accident, was given a $20 fine on the charge of not having brakes in the proper condition to control the car as specified in city ordinance.

Dewey Shobert, who was just in advance of Houk on the opposite side of the street, was also brought before Cunning for a hearing and pleaded guilty to speeding. He was fined $20.00.

75 years ago

July 5, 1945 — Point Lack Puts Butter Into Storage

Lack of red points for the purchase of butter is causing the market to be demoralized and stocks to pile up, local creamerymen said today. Pressure is being brought to bear in Washington, D.C., to influence the OPA in making a reduction in point value fixed for butter, but in the meantime consumers and restaurants are short of the commodity while supplies increase.

Butter sales in Redmond are just about one-half the amount they were a year ago, it was stated, and even with the government set-aside requirement at 55 percent of the total there still is more butter than the public can buy with its scanty ration coupons. Creameries are storing, with facilities already taxed to capacity.

50 years ago

July 1, 1970 — Telephone company now in new offices

United Telephone Company of the Northwest has moved its commercial offices to their new location, 313 S. Sixth St., it is announced by Bill Garner, district manager.

All business transactions, such as ordering phone service, paying bills and registering complaints, will be handled at the new location.

The building at a later date will house new switching equipment for improvement of service in the Redmond area.

25 years ago

July 5, 1995 — Building dedication honors Unger

The hospital that Dr. Robert Unger helped found in Redmond is dedicating a new facility in his honor.

Central Oregon District Hospital will hold a dedication and open house Tuesday at Kingwood Medical Offices, the new building at 215 N.W. Kingwood Ave., adjacent to the hospital.

Unger, who grew up in South Dakota, moved to Redmond in 1949 after completing a family practice program at Providence-St. Vincent’s in Portland. CODH was built in 1952.

“There were only three other doctors in town, and we all were part of the group that got the hospital started,” he recalled.

Unger, who retired 10 years ago, said he’s “a little embarrassed, but pleased” that the new medical building is being dedicated to him.

“It’s a nice clinic that’s been built there, and it shows how the hospital has really progressed over a 40-year period,” he said.

Dr. Steve Cross, who will occupy one of the offices in the Kingwood building, suggested that CODH dedicate it to Unger.

“I think the hospital had been looking for a project to dedicate to Dr. Unger because of his long service to the Redmond community,” Dr. James Detwiler said.

When Detwiler came to Redmond in 1975 to join the Cascade Medical Clinic that Unger founded in the 1950s, Unger made a lasting impression on him.

“Back in those days, (family doctors) did a fair amount of surgery, obstetrics and pediatrics,” Detwiler said. “I couldn’t believe how he put in tremendously long hours. He never took a vacation, and he was always available.”

Unger also had a wealth of expertise and practical experience he was willing to share, Detwiler said.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.