Installer Bill Davis makes connections on a terminal block at United Telephone Company to join lines outside the plant with the new switching equipment. The phone company had crews working around the clock at the Redmond office the weekend of the 1970 changeover.

100 years ago

Aug. 26, 1920 — Whiskey Still Captured by U.S. Agents

An illicit still used for the manufacture of “moonshine” whiskey, which it is declared was used to supply Bend and virtually every town in Central Oregon, including Redmond, was put out of business at Grandview last Thursday. Jefferson county officials assisted federal agents in the raid.

The still is the largest, and it is said, the most complete ever taken in Central Oregon. Made of copper throughout and valued at about $500, the still had a capacity of fifty-six gallons. At the time of its capture by the authorities, there were thirteen barrels of corn and rye mash on the premises waiting to be used. A fire had been set at the still and it was ready for operation, it is claimed.

Roscoe “Coad” Lane, a farm hand and alleged owner of the still, was arrested and taken to Madras and then on to Portland to await his hearing.

Sheriff S.E. Roberts and a federal agent were in Redmond Friday on their way to Portland with John Payne who had been arrested in Bend the day before on charge of being a “bootlegger.” He and another man arrested at Bend are said by the federal operatives to be in the same ring with Lane, acting as sales agent for the product of the large Grandview still.

75 years ago

Aug. 30, 1945 — City Council Views Air Field Future As Municipal Port

The feasibility of the appointment of a city commission for the maintenance and operation of the Redmond air field was discussed at the meeting of the city council on Tuesday evening in the council chambers of the city hall.

The fact that the field will be released by the army at some time in the future necessitates city planning with regard to the ways and means of financing the purchase of such equipment, improvements and buildings as are desirable for the project, it is believed.

The army’s lease of this field covers the duration of the war and six months thereafter, with the privilege of joint usage with the city following that period. Any changes in this status have not been announced as of yet.

Upon closure of the Redmond army air field, the field will be turned back to the city. Many plans are being discussed concerning the Redmond air field as an industrial development in this area.

In regard to these plans, Mayor T.J. Wells makes the following statement: “The city will operate Redmond air field for the benefit of the general public through private and commercial flying.”

50 years ago

Aug. 26, 1970 — Cartwrights see fifth son leave for duty in Vietnam

For the fifth time Mr. and Mrs. G. Curt Cartwright Sr., Tumalo, saw one of their sons board an airplane Wednesday, Aug. 19, en route to Vietnam.

Army Pvt. Glen Cartwright, 20, as had four brothers before him, received orders to report to Oakland Air Center to be reassigned to Vietnam. One of his brothers, Gale, will be returning from Vietnam in September and has reenlisted for six years.

Another son, Grant, served as a tank mechanic and is now working at Zumstein’s Reindeer Ranch, west of Redmond. Then there was Gene, who served in the army engineers and is now at home working on the ranch. Skip served in the airborne infantry before becoming a truck driver in Colorado. Gale has been in the military police while in Vietnam.

A sixth son, Gary, was deferred for medical reasons, and the Cartwright’s youngest son, Gerald, 11, is at home.

Asked what he thought of all his brothers leaving for Vietnam, Gerald said that he wished they could stay home. “He likes to have his big brothers home,” Mrs. Cartwright commented.

Glen received his basic training at Ft. Lewis, Wn., and his advanced training at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. He is now being stationed in Vietnam as a combat medic.

After completing his military duty, Pvt. Cartwright plans on returning to Central Oregon to raise horses. He was born in Wisconsin and was graduated from Redmond High School, having lived in Oregon for the past eight years.

25 years ago

Aug. 30, 1995 — Couple stays radio active

Redmond seniors Ed and Phyllis Long know the value of radio in emergencies. And they’d like the public to know, too.

“So many people these days are very concerned about the possibility of a terrible emergency, and as radio volunteers we’re concerned about how we can help,” Phyllis said.

Radio is important, she said, because when power and telephone lines are down, radio is the only way to maintain communications. And short-wave is “far superior” to citizens band for communications.

The Longs have a transmitter and receiver in their car and also carry hand-held radios when they travel.

“If people would carry hand-helds when they’re hiking, they could call in when they’re lost,” she said.

To mark American Radio Awareness Day on Sept. 16, Central Oregon members of the Amateur Emergency Radio Service ((AERS) will sponsor an exhibit and demonstrations at Mountain View Mall in Bend.

Phyllis said 45 volunteers in Deschutes County are ready and continually upgrading their skills to help out in an emergency.

Recently the radio operators had two days of intensive training on how the Redmond Air Center handles disasters, so “we could be more effective.”

On Sept. 13 the group will train at Bend City Shops for hazardous materials emergencies.

“We do what we’re told; we don’t take over,” Phyllis said.

Phyllis, “a senior citizen,” and her husband Ed, who’ll be “four score and three in December,” both have long-time interests in radio.

Phyllis began in 1944 by taking a class in Bend,” when radios were bigger and bulkier.”

She dropped her interest in radio for several years while she worked for the Red Cross in Europe and Asia, married and moved to Alaska.

Continued on www.redmondspokesman.com.

She became active again upon her return to Oregon, getting her advanced, then extra class licenses. She volunteers with Central Oregon Radio Amateurs and AERS doing paperwork and helping coordinate volunteers, and helps with license testing.

Edu said his interest in electronics and radios “goes way back.” As a teen-ager in northeastern Kansas he made lights for outbuildings with flashlight bulbs and batteries, then began making crystal sets out of oatmeal boxes and bell wire.

When he was 19 he and his family moved to Oregon City, where he graduated from high school and built his own hydroelectric plants for the family farm using parts from automobiles and an old turbine from a mill.

He lived in Central Oregon for several years after his family moved to Alfalfa in 1935.

In 1940 Ed moved to Alaska and began a career in radio communications and electronics. He worked as a radio telephone operator and technician, handling military and commercial messages. Like a standard telegram, the message arrived or was sent in code, then was typed for delivery by the receiving operator.

Ed lived in Fairbanks most of the time, but often was sent by himself to remote areas, like Nome and Adak, that needed communications. He also handled military, commercial and private messages, and radioed money for people who built the Alaska Highway.

The Longs were living in Homer, where Ed was working as a radio technician for the Federal Aviation Administration, when the 1964 Alaska earthquake struck. He said his supervisor told him to handle amateur radio communications for people anxious to send messages out of Alaska.

“I went three days with only one hour of sleep a night,” Ed said. “Everyone wanted to communicate with friends and family outside of Alaska, but telephones were completely out. I sent messages for people who worked for the phone company.”

“One evening on 75-meter band it appeared that just about everybody on the West Coast was listening to me for information about friends in Alaska,” he said.

The Longs transferred to Central Oregon in 1968, where Ed worked for Redmond FAA until retiring in 1977. They’ve maintained their interest in radio, both as a way to meet people and serve their community.

Their home on a small acreage west of Redmond is marked by a 137-foot radio tower. A windcharger Ed built provides backup power to a solar battery system that runs the radio equipment, so they won’t be out of action in an emergency.

Radio amateurs are also recruited to provide communications for big events like Pole Pedal Paddle and Cascade Cycling Classic, Phyllis said. And they’d like to help with more events in Redmond.

Radio is an activity all ages can enjoy, she said. Even young people can get licenses, and talk to people all over the world.

Classes for all levels of radio licenses are available through Central Oregon Community College Community Education.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.