100 years ago
Nov. 11, 1920 — Little Miss Is Glad; Five Cats Come Where She Asks For But One
Lonesome since the loss of a pet, little Miss Norma Van Cleve is lonely no longer. Thursday she pictured the possession of a cat as the requisite for happiness and advertised in the want ad column of The Spokesman.
Because she didn’t want to put any benefactor to too much trouble to do her the favor she asked the cat be brought to the pencil factory at Redmond. Friday when she came down to the plant with her father, who is the manager, there were five cats there from which to make her selection.
Because there didn’t happen to be any yellow kitten offered, she took a black and white one, and her father — he took one too, and it’s going to be the pencil factory cat.
75 years ago
Nov. 15, 1945 — Mystic Wizard Promises Laughs At School Carnival
Professor Watta Snozzle, great mystic wizard, will make his premier appearance in Redmond at the high school carnival on Friday, November 16, starting at 8 p.m. The public is invited to bring their problems to the professor, who offers to help them realize life-long ambitions.
In addition to Professor Snozzle, the high school student body promises many other feature attractions for the amusement of spectators.
Proceeds from this year’s carnival will be used to start the book rental system in the school. Next year students will be able to rent their textbooks at a cost of $2 to $3, whereas at the present time the cost runs as high as $15 per year.
Money from the carnival will make the initial payments on textbooks which will be purchased from students at the end of this school year. A portion of the fund will be used to fill in new books in making up the stock. After this first year the program is expected to be self-supporting, according to superintendent M.E. Larive.
50 years ago
Nov. 18, 1970 — Tuck student returns billfold with $600
What would you do if you found a billfold containing over $600?
The answer came easily for a sandy-haired lad who spotted the billfold in the lost and found barrel over two weeks ago at John Tuck School while trying to find a football helmet.
As he rummaged through unclaimed coats, pairless gloves, squashed hats and mismatched sports equipment, he noticed the corner of a $50 bill peering over the top of an open billfold.
“I thought it was play money,” commented nonchalant Jack Ulam. But he took it out, looked closer, counted it, and immediately turned it over to his physical education teacher, Al Christensen. Within minutes a phone call was placed to Dale Pollin, the owner, whose brother came to school to claim it.
Pollin says nothing was missing from the billfold which had been removed from his trousers two days earlier in the Tuck dressing room while he was practicing basketball. He had notified both the police and school authorities.
Young Jack, who has never seen or heard from the rightful owner, sees nothing special about what he did. In fact the whole incident was so insignificant to him, that he forgot to tell his mother, or his grandmother, Mrs. Melissa Ward, until the next day.
But to others the demonstration of honesty and character is extremely significant, particularly in those who know things are a little tight for Jack since he had to give up his paper route for The Oregonian and The Oregon Journal due to a chronic knee inflammation, that called for a cast.
But even that cast is not holding the active sixth-grader down too much. At 12 1/2, he claims physical education is his favorite subject, and that a 50-mile hike in the Mt. Jefferson area was his favorite Boy Scout activity of the summer. He was making preparations last week for a Scout camp out near Sisters — “I like to get out in the woods!” said Jack.
25 years ago
Nov. 15, 1995 — Special rig will pull airport duty
Redmond Fire Department’s new Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting vehicle will take up its post at the airport soon.
Crews have been training on the ARFF truck since it arrived last week from Wisconsin, Redmond Fire Chief Bob Garrison said.
“Its primary function is to combat fires in aircraft and spilled flammable liquids, such as aircraft fuel,” Garrison said.
The vehicle carries water and firefighting foam, can mix the two and discharge them over long distances to fight large fires, he said.
The unit also dispenses dry chemicals for smaller fires, such as one contained inside the fuselage of an airplane, he said.
The Federal Aviation Administration furnished 90 percent of the $325,000 cost for the vehicle and accompanying equipment. The remaining 10 percent was funded through user fees paid by airport passengers.
The ARFF rig should be in service at the airport next week once training and fine-tuning are complete, Garrison said.