Civilian planes may fly here soon: This aerial view, dated Nov. 1945, shows Redmond’s municipal airport, one mile southwest of town, which has been in use as Redmond army air field during the war. The city hopes to have the field, with its two 7000-foot runways, turned back for central Oregon civilian flying in the near future.

100 years agoNov. 4, 1920 — Redmond’s First Train Arrived Nine Years Ago

Monday was the ninth anniversary of the arrival of the first regular passenger train at Redmond, the joint track of the Oregon Trunk and Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation company having been completed in November, 1911.

The tracklaying crew reached Redmond on August 21, 1911. This was celebrated by Redmond Railroad Day. A golden spike was driven by Miss Laura Jones, daughter of H.F. Jones, mayor of Redmond.

J.R. Roberts, present mayor of Redmond, and Mrs. Roberts, who had just been married in Iowa, were among the passengers of the train that arrived on the night of November 1. Roberts bought in Portland the first ticket sold to Redmond.

75 years ago

Nov. 8, 1945 — Car Lights Show Field To Bomber

Because air-minded Redmond townsfolk used their heads — and their auto lights — a B-24 bomber unable to land on darkened Redmond army air field was brought down safely with its crew of four men Thursday evening at 7 o’clock.

Hearing the plane circling low over town about 6:30, several realized it was in trouble and must land. However, when the army closed the field, all lighting facilities were removed, and the two 7000-foot runways, only ones between The Dalles and Klamath Falls which could accomodate a large aircraft, might as well have been on the moon so far as the Liberator pilot was concerned.

Forrest Cooper, resident state highway engineer, who is operation officer for Redmond squadron of the Civil Air patrol and Dick Ballantine, operator of the CAP airport, knew at once that autos must be taken to the army field to mark the correct runway for the B-24. Ballantine telephoned the CAA weather station,which is the only facility operating at the field, and learned the pilot of the bomber had contacted the station by radio, saying that he must land. Maurice F. Roberts, commander of the CAP was on on hand too, to help in the emergency.

50 years ago

Nov. 4, 1970 — Housing slump hits Redmond

Redmond is acutely feeling the impact of the current housing construction slump as Ponderosa Mouldings closed down operation for this week and Whittier Moulding cut back part of the night shift.

Ponderosa, which has been operating on a curtailed basis since the onset of the lumber depression last October, laid off 42 men this week due to curtailed housing starts, according to General Manager Kieran Madden.

“Hopefully” Ponderosa will be back in operation next week, according to Madden, who pointed out that twice last month the plant was forced down on Oct. 12 and for the week of Oct. 19.

Between 30 and 40 men were affected by the curtailment on Whittier’s night shift, according to Gordon Whittier, who said the slow down in housing construction definitely was a factor. Both plant managers predict a continuing lag in business through the balance of this year, but expect a considerable upturn in housing starts in 1971.

25 years ago

Nov. 8, 1995 — Safety crews keep busy

Redmond firefighters and police were kept hopping for awhile last Wednesday afternoon.

A chain reaction of minor emergencies began at 12:11 p.m. when a forklift operator rammed power lines at the Crown Pacific mill. Lines on S. First Street fell across Burlington Northern Railway tracks and a second forklift. The railroad was closed for a time and crews from Pacific Power were called to rescue the second forklift operator.

The downed power lines also caused a power outage in south Redmond that lasted about 45 minutes, cutting power to the airport, Wal-Mart, Rig R and hundreds of other electrical customers. The outage led to a two-vehicle non-injury traffic accident at Highway 97 at Odem Medo when the traffic signals went out. No one was injured.

The downed lines further caused several small brush fires along the tracks. One threatened a garage and a natural gas line. The power outage also caused a fire in an office at 150 SE Deschutes Ave. An electrical arc ignited natural gas that touched off the blaze, which damaged a small apartment building, said fire officials.

Not related to the other incidents, but further stretching police and fire crews, was a 12:25 p.m. two-vehicle collision at Southwest 25th and Pumice. One person involved was sent to Central Oregon District Hospital for treatment of injuries.

A vehicle ran a stop sign and was struck by a second speeding vehicle. The first vehicle rolled over. The driver was taken to CODH and was cited for disobeying a traffic control device. The second driver was cited for careless driving.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.